Building an Accessory Dwelling Unit on Your Property in Portland, Oregon
Register for the nxt ADU class Saturday, January 9th
One-on-one fee consultations
One-on-one fee consultations
*Best option if you want expert advice to ensure that you can build an ADU on your property before jumping into the design development process, have highly unusual site considerations, are considering several major accessory dwelling options on your site or sites, or have many specific questions around legality, finance, or site constraints. I'll provide personalized financing advice, ADU design considerations for your site, and guide you to your next steps in the ADU development process.
$75/hr ($150 minimum). Contact me through my Google profile page or email me at kolpeterson at yahoo dot com if you have questions or if you'd benefit from an on-site consultation.
The ADU Class:
This class is intended for homeowners interested in building an ADU on their property. For most homeowners, building an ADU is not simple or straightforward--it’s essentially the job of being a land developer--- a job that most of us know have ever done, or will likely ever do again.
Think of this class as an on-ramp to the process of designing and building an ADU. This class will open your eyes to the spectrum of content that you'll execute and manage in the course of designing and building and ADU. It is intended to make the whole process and project better by helping you understand the ADU design, management, and building process.
By the end of the class, you will better understand the design/permit/build process, which will save you significant time and money, and will result in a better product--an ADU that will work well for your particular situation.
In the process of designing and building my ADU, I have become passionate about ADUs generally. I am not a general contractor nor an architect trying to pitch my services to you. I am a homeowner and environmental professional with a passion for ADUs and a lot of practical information to share about them. The class is full of extremely high-value information that you can't find anywhere else.
You’ll Walk Away from the Class Understanding…
- The design, permitting, and building process
- Relevant green building concepts, approaches, and certifications
- Financing, rebates, incentives, cost-saving design/build measures, contracts
- Resources, references and contacts to help you design and build your ADU (including ADU regulations, local building material sourcing recommendations, a budget sample, contract types and more)
You’ll be able to ask (and answer) questions and network with other local homeowners who are considering building an ADU.
Here's a one minute sample of the class:
- The class size is limited.
- The course cost is $125.
- The course will be from 9am to 5pm with a short lunch break. The class is going to be a fast-paced course that will cover lots of material. Be prepared with questions and be ready to take notes. I will have some handouts.
- We will tour two ADUs during this class following lunch.
- Oregon Real Estate Agency: 7 CEUs (Topic: Real estate property evaluation, appraisal, or valuation).
- Built a new construction ADU in NE Portland which was featured in Portland's Build It Green Tour. See media links.
- Run the City-wide ADU Tour
- Managing editor of AccessoryDwellings.org
- Owner of Caravan- The Tiny House Hotel.
- Master in Design and the Environment from the Harvard Graduate School of Design
- Seven years working at the US Environmental Protection agency
- Sustainable Home Professional certification from the Earth Advantage.
- Extensive ADU teaching and presentation experience for a range of audiences, including All About ADUs - A Primer Course for Brokers, a course at Earth Advantage.
- Instructor for Earth Advantage's ADU Specialist Designation courses for realtors
- Own an ADU consulting company, Accessory Dwellings Strategies LLC.
Here's what one participant had to say of her experience in a recent class.
It was a real treat meeting you and taking your Saturday seminar. I am so critical of these types of events and yours was truly superb. Perhaps the most informative, well-organized day-long conference I've ever been to. Thank you!
Now, when can you come for a consult?